“Wonder” takes the world

A. Burkey

Wonder cover art by Tad Carpenter

Wonder cover art by Tad Carpenter

A. Burkey, Staff Writer

“Wonder,” by R.J. Palacio, swept the world with its image of kindness. In this award-winning novel, a young boy named Auggie Pullman suffers from a facial deformity called Treacher Collins Syndrome. He grows up as an outsider and was homeschooled for most of his early school years. Then his parents decide to take Auggie to his first school, Beecher Prep. He finds friends and foes at his new school and goes through many life-changing experiences.

This novel was published in March of 2012 and has provided a movement to encourage people to choose kind. This book became such a positive influence on the world that a movie was made based on it. The movie came out in November of 2017 and has continued to motivate everyone.

Leah Jeffries, a teacher at U.M.E. Preparatory Academy, has created a “Wonder Wall” to help inspire those at the school to do good for others. Many other people across the nation have made similar motions to help create a better world.

“I decided to put up this wall in the hall so that my class could display all of their kind words and all of their inspirational sayings just to help inspire others around them, their friends and the people they are around to be kind and try to encourage each other to make the world a better place,” Leah Jeffries said.

“Through the movie you got to meet Auggie and meet his family and get to know him,” Sarah Norman, a sophomore, said, “He was just so bright and not only a bright personality but he was so smart and people made fun of him just because he didn’t look the same and I thought that it was sending a really good message to people to not judge a book by its cover.”

“Wonder” has inspired people to make a difference in their communities. We all have to remember that our differences make us who we are and we should not be scared to show them. Always remember to CHOOSE KIND.