Know the Symptoms of Flu

Infographic by A. Cervantes

A. Mejia, Staff Writer

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, this year’s flu outbreak has infected many and killed at least 53 children. The flu is a deadly virus.

During the winter and spring, the flu is very contagious and can even cause death. People tend to confuse the flu with cold viruses but they are actually very different. During the flu season, it is very important to recognize flu symptoms so you treat it properly. People with the flu experience headaches, body aches, sore throat, chills, fever, cough, and fatigue.

UME freshmen Abigail De Hoyos said, “I thought that I had a cold, but then I looked online and [my symptoms suggested] I had the flu.” Just like Abigail, people are clueless about the tell-tale signs of flu.

People with a common cold will have a runny or stuffy nose, sneezing and body aches, and general fatigue. There are many ways to prevent you from getting the flu such as avoiding people who are sick, keeping your hands off your face, washing your hands frequently, working out, and eating healthily.

Faith Bales said, “I was in the hospital and a nurse told me that 500 people were at the hospital just for the flu.”

Schools are the number one place where the flu spreads so make sure you wash your hands frequently and stay safe.