Coach Smith Challenges UME Soccer to Reach New Heights

G. Smith, Staff Writer

Coach Smith has been watching, playing and coaching soccer for several years now. He has been married to Kimberly Smith for 27 years and has four kids. He has coached all four of his kids’ soccer teams, and he has played soccer for a few years now.

Pullquote Photo

I like the help he has given me, and I have gotten way better than I already was at being a goalie for UME Prep.”

— David Lopez

Coach Smith was born on August 4, 1966, in Hawaii, and he grew up playing basketball. As he got older, his dad, who was in the Air Force, moved his family around a lot and when he retired, they finally settled permanently in Spartanburg, South Carolina. When he finished high school, Coach Smith went into the Air Force where he traveled all over the world. He met his wife in England, where she was on a business trip. After they married, they moved to Texas to start a family. He has begun helping the soccer team this year where he helps the goalies and soccer teams get better.

UME sophomore David Lopez said, “I like the help he has given me, and I have gotten way better than I already was at being a goalie for UME Prep.”

Coach Smith has come to every practice and helps the teams with his knowledge of the game. He sets aside his own time to come help the kids on the soccer team to make them better.