TALON

• January 22Sadie Hawkins Dance Feb. 9th

Chris Evans Giving Up Captain America

T. Yother, Columnist

“I’d be lying if I said it wouldn’t be hard for me, but the passing of time and the passing of torches is part of the experience. Nothing lasts forever. There’s beauty in the departure, even if it can be sad at times. It’s also joyful,” Chris Evans said. Sadly Chris Evans’ contract as Captain America is done after Avengers 4, so we could be seeing our Star Spangled hero leave soon. A lot of fans might be sad and teary-eyed for the fate of Captain America and many other heroes in upcoming Avengers movies.

Chris Evans has been playing the role of Captain America since 2011. He has played in eight out of 18 MCU( Marvel Cinematic Universe) movies including “Captain America: The First Avenger,” “The Avengers,” “Thor: The Dark World,” “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “Ant-Man,” “Captain America: Civil War,” and “Spider-Man: Homecoming.” After “Avengers: Infinity War” and the untitled sequel, Evans will be tied with Robert Downey Jr. with a total of 10 out of 22 MCU films.     

In the MCU, Steve Rogers, a rejected military soldier, was picked to take a Super-Soldier serum to become the first Avenger: Captain America. Captain America has gone through so many obstacles like fighting in WWII, waking up from the ice 75 years after WWII, fighting aliens, fighting his best friend Bucky (also known as the Winter Soldier), and even fighting Iron Man and a group of heroes.  According to the Russo Brothers after “Captain America: Civil War,” Steve Rogers will no longer be Captain America. Joe Russo said, “I think him dropping his shield is him letting go of that identity. It’s him admitting that certainly the identity of Captain America was in conflict with the very personal choice that he was making.”

In “Avengers: Infinity War,” Steve Rogers will be known as Nomad. Now that the world knows him and his allies in “Civil War” as war criminals or vigilantes, they are in hiding on different paths to making things right again. Some people think that since Steve Rogers has given up the role of Captain America, his best friend Bucky (aka Winter Soldier) will be the next Captain America.

Chris Evans said in another interview that “You need to get off the train before they push you off.” So Evans is getting prepared to leave the MCU train and continue on to the next part of his journey as an actor.