UME Hosts a Boys Beauty Pageant, With Some Lyrical Flair

C. Turley, Staff Writer

UME is hosting a bunch of activities this Dec. to get into the Christmas spirit, and the students are a part of them. The school counselor Ms. Sarpalius, annually (since 2016), hosts a boys beauty pageant known as the MR. UMERRY PAGEANT where the high school boys participate in a four-stage beauty pageant. It ranges from dressing as a well-decorated Christmas tree, showing off their talents, and wearing an ugly Christmas sweater with their swim trunks. Before beginning the actual show, the boys will perform a choreographed dance that they practiced with UME’s cheerleaders. Even though it is fun and games for the participants, Ms. Sarpalius has a lot of planning to do to make this event a blast. Not only does she have to get all of the participants new shirts for the event, but she also has to make sure that before the day comes the cheerleaders have taught the boys the choreographed dance. She has to make sure that the boys arrive on time and make sure that the show is over in a timely fashion. Even in the midst of all of this work she still manages to have a relatively fun time, “I have some fun, but it is usually stressful.” For those of you who attended the previous UMERRIES, you should come again as this one should be a different experience. According to Ms. Sarpalius, “It should be a different experience because the boys will each have different talents for the talent show.” She also said that there will be “a bake sale in the foyer hosted by the senior class prior to the show,” as well as “pictures with Santa and hot cocoa!”

UME is also hosting a Christmas concert where the high school, middle school, and elementary choirs will be performing a variety of great Christmas songs — it will peak your Christmas interest. Besides, what’s Christmas without a little music? Hopefully, these creative activities are enough to get you in the Christmas spirit. Please be sure to attend these wonderful events.