Scientists Discover Cigar-Shaped Space Object Flying Around the Solar System

C. Monteagudo, Staff Writer

Robert Weryk, a physicist and astronomer spotted a new interstellar object in Hawaii on October 2017. It was discovered by a Pan-STARRS 1 telescope in Haleakala University, Hawaii, forty days after it passed its closest point to the sun.

“Oumuamua” is the name scientists chose to call it, meaning “a messenger that reaches out from the distant past” in Hawaiian. “Oumuamua may be a fully operational probe sent intentionally to Earth vicinity by an alien civilization” stated Professor Abraham Loeb professor and chair of astronomy, and Shmuel Bialy, a postdoctoral scholar at the Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in a paper, CNN News reported.

Since it has been discovered, scientists have been puzzled about what it was because of its size and shape. First calling it a comet and then an asteroid, then after coming to the conclusion that it is the first of its kind, this was also reported by CNN News. Prof. Abraham Loeb and Doc. Shmuel Bialy say that it is “a dark red, cigar-shaped object that has been flying all across the solar system at a speed of 196,000 mph.”

Thanks to this discovery, scientists now know more about what is out there and will find out more about the universe we live in.