Procrastination: Everyone does it.

E. Chankin, Staff Writer

You know the feeling. That moment of sheer panic when you realize you have put something off until the absolute last minute, and now have to rush to complete the task. Whether it be on an assignment, chores, or even packing bags for a trip the very next day, we have all procrastinated and we know the consequences. The Oxford Dictionary definition of procrastinating is the action of delaying or postponing something. According to Brandon Gaille, 86 percent of high school students, 92 percent of college students, and 20 percent of the U.S. population procrastinates. According to the Blue Banner statistics, the amount of people procrastinating has quadrupled in the past 30 years, and one in five people procrastinate so badly that it impacts their mental and physical health.

Everyone has probably heard phrases like

this adaptation from Mark Twain, “Never put off till tomorrow what may be done today.” Or perhaps this Bill Watterson quote might ring a bell, “You can’t just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood. What mood is that? Last-minute panic.” But what do the teens of our current society say about procrastination? Sophia Luna, a UME junior, remarks, “It is strongly spoken against, yet is one of the most common things among teenagers mostly. I would say don’t do it but that makes me a hypocrite.” Orion Ogle age 15, says “I procrastinate and wait until the last minute because I will be older and therefore wiser.”

There are obvious advantages to procrastination such as more time to spend with friends or more time to have to yourself, but the disadvantages can include stress and lack of sleep among other things. What is your opinion? Is it a benefit or a detriment?