Let’s Lower Voting Age to 16

Let’s Lower Voting Age to 16

E. Medina, News Editor

“Critics say 16-year-olds aren’t mature enough or don’t have enough life experience” to vote, revealed PBS.  But some lawmakers think otherwise, as do I.

The voting age should be lowered to 16 because I personally feel that  teenagers have grown to be more attracted to politics. Most specifically, when it comes to voting for people to represent us, we would like to vote because our generation is going to be the one it most impacts.

According to The Nation, in an interview with a Chicago high school student and Democratic candidate Chris Kennedy, Kennedy said, “You can’t do any worse for the country than what older people did when they elected Donald Trump.… I don’t see any reason why [16-year-olds shouldn’t vote].”

NBC News has reported that there are a “few Washington suburbs in Maryland, like Takoma Park, Greenbelt and Hyattsville, already allowing 16-year-olds to vote in local elections. More than a dozen countries, including Brazil, Scotland, and Austria, meanwhile, allow voters that young in national elections.”

I asked a couple of students from UME Preparatory if the voting age should be lowered to 16 and why. Anabeth Mejia, a sophomore currently attending UME, said, “I think they should lower the voting age because I think people our age should have a voice.”

Let’s follow the footsteps of Brazil, Scotland, and Austria, and allow 16-year-olds to vote in national elections. We could even start small and at least be allowed to vote in state elections. Help change our future.