Can Money Buy You Happiness?

X. Rodriguez, Staff Writer

As a society, we think that money can solve all of our problems and that it’s the key to happiness, but how much of that is true and why? I do believe that money can help you be happy but a lot of it depends on what the money is being used on. If I were to have a million dollars and I spent it all on clothes and shoes it is going to bring me happiness that lasts short-term. Memories and experience are what brings long-term happiness.

“Most people assume that ‘things’ will lead to more happiness than ‘experiences’,” said Sarah Gervais, Professor of Psychology at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Most people look for things to have rather than things to do. I’m sure people who don’t have money think that is the way to happiness. In some cases, money is what ruins people’s relationships and lives. In some ways, I do think money can release stress. As in with finances, no one wants to be behind in bills and money helps with that so, in that sense, I do think money can help. But with that being said, it still doesn’t make you happy even if it makes you less worried. “I always thought money was something just to make me happy. But I’ve learned that I feel better being able to help my folks, ’cause we never had anything. So just to see them excited about my career is more of a blessing than me actually having it for myself,” said Kendrick Lamar. A famous rapper making a lot of money describes money as just another thing to him but something more to his family. “ Money can be used as something to help you be happy but doesn’t actually buy you happiness,” said Raymond Rodriguez, sophomore at UME Prep. “If you only want things that don’t last then yeah it can buy happiness,” said Ismael Yanez, eighth-grader at UME Prep.

Happiness is different for all of us but to understand short term and long term is important. It’s the reason so many people, when they run out of money, start to not feel the same. So whatever it is you are using your money on, make sure it’s for a good cause and that it helps you maintain happiness.