Augmented Reality Assisting Our Lives

Back to Article
Back to Article

Augmented Reality Assisting Our Lives

R. Steinert, Staff Writer

Many people have long been waiting to have everything at their fingertips, but how would they feel to have it even closer? Augmented reality has been in the works for the past few years and has made a large jump this year with more technology to overlay images on the surrounding area. While many are excited about this new advancement, they cannot begin to fathom the possibilities. It can overlay any program onto our own vision while still allowing us to see the world around us. The difference between augmented and virtual reality is that while virtual reality removes the world around us, augmented reality extends it.

Starting with it’s personal and educational use, it could allow someone to have a connection with tools they require for personal finance or school projects. A TED Talk led by Meron Gribetz showed the practical uses as well. He told of how instead of someone being out of the conversation when on the phone, they could be a part of it using augmented reality and have that person right next to them. A student at UME (who prefers to be left unnamed) told the Talon, “it would be a huge help to be able to enter my notes without having to carry around all the books and keep up with my pens.”

Google has made augmented reality a commercial assistance with the Google Glass EE. It allows workers to access information without having to do manual labor. A worker at an Atlanta factory allowed me to interview him, “[Google Glass] been a huge help to me in my work. Before I had to look at a manual on the construction of the product but now each step is before my eyes.” According to the Glass website, it has hands-free technology with voice commands, access to multiple guidebooks, and can connect him with his co-workers instantly.

Augmented reality is a hot upcoming front and soon, we may all be using it. The possibilities are extensive and the uses are incredible. It could help people with bad vision see a clearer picture right before them, it could help deaf people see what people are saying without having to use sign language. Many years down the line, we could connect it to our nervous system so we see and feel what is right before us.